The aim of the presentation is to look at the challenges facing doctors who treat advanced illness from a medical and ethical point of view. It examines the interface between curative, palliative and terminal care and the ethical considerations in these phases, with some discussion on euthanasia. The main thrust of the presentation highlights a number of tools available to the doctors and staff involved in these ethical issues which may help them negotiate this difficult territory.
About the course
- Target audience – Healthcare Professionals working in oncology
- CPD points – Ethics: 2 points
- The potential of the activity to enhance professional performance:
- Improve communication
- Impart a knowledge of ethical principles
- Impart a knowledge of the current law in SA
- Understand Advance Directives
- Become more familiar with interface between curative care and palliative care
- Learn more about tools to help with this transition.
- Method of evaluation Multiple choice questions (MCQs)